Monday, May 17, 2010

M.I.A. Mom

For four beautiful days and three long nights over the past weekend I enjoyed a Girls' Weekend. There are 4 of us that all graduated high school together that have made a point to visit each other once a year (unfortunately I missed last year's trip because Sam was only 6 weeks old) and 9 years after we graduated, we're still going strong.

This year we went to Ft. Myers where Megan's parents own a beautiful home. We went to the beach one afternoon, but for most of the weekend we were content to float in the pool at the house and chat, read and chat some more. We cooked some yummy meals together and hung in the hot tub. We did make it out to dinner twice, but most of the clothes I packed stayed folded in the bag. It was wonderfully lazy.

And I slept. For the first time in twelve and a half months I slept in. One morning I slept until 10:00. It felt amazing.

Fear not, I did not leave my child to fend for himself. Because I was going to be gone for two business days, Chris's parents came into town to watch our little man while Daddy was at work. From all accounts, the 4 of them had a lovely time while Mommy was being rejuvenated. For me this was a much needed Mommy break - my first since Sam was born. After a few days of total relaxation and adult conversations, I am more than ready to dive back into peek-a-boo and diapers. I missed my little man very much!

I feel blessed that I have such amazing friends that still make an effort to see each other after all this time. Yes, we're still young, but 3 of us have jobs and one of us a kid, we live in 4 different states in two different time zones and lead full lives. Our continued friendships are purposeful, which makes them precious. Megan teaches high school and told a story about how her students, who are imagining graduation and the possibility of never seeing each other again, were encouraged to learn she'd be seeing her high school friends over the weekend. When we were at the airport leaving Heather and I saw a group of middle-aged women clearly traveling as a pack. They gave us similar hope that these trips will continue well into the future.

(Thanks to Mrs. Welsh for opening your home to us. Just like in high school, you're the coolest chaperon.)

No comments: