Monday, May 18, 2009

Life With Sam

It feels oddly normal to have Sam around. I thought that it would be really weird to have a baby living with me, but it feels like he belongs. That being said, it doesn't feel like this is forever. I still can't picture him a few years down the road, let alone in high school or anything like that. I sometimes look in his face and try to imagine what his personality will be like when he gets a little older - I can't wait to find out!

Grandma Sivard (my mom) left after her week-long stay on May 9. That means that Sam and I have been on our own for 4.5 full weekdays (soon to be 5.5 at the end of today). Yes, there are periods that are overwhelming, like when he starts crying every time I put him down so I can't get a shower till 3:00. But there are really great times as well, like when he sleeps all warm and cozy on my chest for an hour. That feels good!

For the most part he is doing pretty well at nights. He usually goes back down after I feed him without any effort. His length of sleep is still unpredictable, but I think he actually gets that he belongs in his crib at night time if he's not eating. He's had one stretch of 5.5 hours of sleep, but its looking like that was a fluke.

Speaking of flukes, he did roll over! The very first time I ever put him on his tummy he pushed right up and rolled to his back. I put him back on his tummy and he did it again. It took a week, but he did it again right after lunch today. I mentioned it to the pediatrician at his two-week check up and she said it wasn't a fluke and looked impressed. We'll see if he keeps it up!

No comments: