Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

The Good:
I can now independently confirm that Sam can roll from his back to his front. Yesterday I turned my back while he was on his play mat. When I turned back around, he had rolled over - and I missed it again! But this morning I witnessed it with my own eyes. He was hanging out on his side and wiggling around (made a 90 degree turn) and then flipped the rest of the way over. This is where he ended up:
The Bad:
Sam no longer likes to fall asleep. This is not because he isn't tired, or doesn't need the sleep. He is exhausted. But he has developed a "need" to be walked or nursed to sleep. This is not good - very bad sleep habits are formed this way, as the pediatrician confirmed. Staying asleep isn't much of a problem (although he is waking up around 5am again), but going down is hard. We're currently working on our strategy to fight this battle of wills.

The Ugly:
We have been fighting off cradle cap for almost two months now. He gets it bad - thick and yellow on his scalp and even down his forehead. Occasionally his cheeks get red and bumpy as well. We've been using baby oil and dandruff shampoo (as doctor recommended) to keep it under control. Well yesterday when I got him up from his nap his cheeks were bright red and bumpy. I was concerned that it was something more than cradle cap, so I called the pediatrician's office and the nurse said to bring him in. After seeing a picture, Dr. Grandpa (my dad) confirmed that it needed to be looked at. I still thought it was spreading cradle cap, and my mom thought I should put Hydrocortisone cream on it, but we went it for an appointment anyhow. Dr. Jung looked for 3 seconds before declaring it to be severe cradle cap and instructed me to treat it with baby oil, Aquaphor 4 times per day, and Hydrocortisone twice per day. Hmm...looks like mother's instinct was right for these two mothers :-) After 14 hours of this new treatment, its already looking less dry and less red. Hopefully it will stop itching him soon as well, and he'll have a clear, baby-soft face once again.

No comments: