Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Sam's New Word

Sam is a boy, which means that Sam loves trucks. More accurately, he loves things that drive and make lots of noise. Sometimes its motorcycles and loud cars that catch his attention, but mostly trucks...and buses. Because buses are big and loud too.

He's really good at pointing the trucks out to us. He announces their presence loudly and with great enthusiasm. Its really the only word he uses when he's in the car seat. We hear it a lot. But here's the thing: sometimes he proclaims "truck!" when its actually a bus. So I taught him the word bus by telling him that the yellow ones was "bus." He caught on quickly - even pronounced the S at the end.

But then we noticed that he was calling trucks buses, and he was calling buses trucks. I can totally see mixing up the city buses, but he was having a lot of trouble with the school buses too. I kept trying to teach him which word to use for each vehicle.

I think I overdid it. I think he is tired of being corrected when he's simply trying to share the very exciting thing that is driving by. I think he's just confused.

The solution? Sam has now coined the phrase "BusTruck." One word. All encompassing.

Now that's problem solving.

1 comment:

hunnifordd@gmail.com said...

Such a smart boy, would love to hear that!