Monday, April 21, 2014

Potty Training 2.1


Potty Training is certainly one of parenthood's most special challenges.  I was more terrified to potty train Sam (potty training 1.0) than any other milestone we'd crossed, but he surprised me and he did so much better than I expected.  I think I had forgotten just how much work it really is - how much of your life must revolve around another's bathroom habits for a period of time...

So with all that forgetting, when Annabelle asked to sit on the potty at Grammy's house over Christmas I was cautiously excited.  When she pooped that first time, and then peed in the potty three additional times that day, I was pumped.  She was only 22 months old, and she WANTED to potty train!  Let's do this!

We returned to Houston and practiced several times per day on the potty.  She was occasionally telling us before she needed to poop and knew just what to do when we sat her on the potty.  I re-read the blog post I wrote about training Sam and considered that adequate preparation for such an enthusiastic student.  I made her a chart and picked a weekend in early January to officially potty train (potty training 2.0).

And wouldn't you know, my children are completely different people.  Sam, who showed no interest before our big weekend, was 75% potty trained by then end of day 2.  He wanted nothing to do with a timer but found great pride and accomplishment in placing his stickers on the chart.  Annabelle got excited by the timer going off and ran to the potty, but really didn't care whether we did a sticker or not.  She did well on day one, even went to a birthday party and stayed dry, but by the end of day two we were sitting somewhere around 10% trained. 

It became clear that she was holding it on the potty and letting it go about 5 minutes later in her panties.  She had made an active decision that she was not going to use the potty.  We decided she was too young to push and put a diaper back on her for bedtime.  She curled up in my lap for stories and snuggled like never before.  She was emotionally and physically exhausted.  We backed off.

We did, though, continue to practice.  Mostly when we were out, because she loves to check out any and all public restrooms.  She gradually gained her confidence back, and turned 2.

The weekend after her birthday we geared up for Potty Training 2.1.  This time I was better prepared for HER potty training personality.  I was ready to give her more of my undivided attention, to set her up for success.  And she did great!

Was she completely potty trained?  No.  But this time she was on board, more motivated and more willing to put up with the process.  By the end of our three day period I was nervous, but not afraid, to take her out in public in panties.  She was not accident free, but they were few a far between - sometimes days!  In fact, by the time we were about 10 days in we realized that she was actually only having accidents at home.  Hmm, maybe a bit lazy?

And then, all of the sudden, she went 10 days without a single accident.  I declared her potty trained and gave away the last of our diaper supply.  (Cute story: She saw them sitting in the car awaiting delivery to Baby Julia.  "Ahh!  I got daw-pers!!!"  "No no, honey, we're giving those to Baby Julia.  You're too big for diapers now, you wear panties!"  "Oh." and now she talks frequently about Baby Julia wearing diapers.)

Two days later, she had three accidents in one day.  Grr.  I asked her over and over "where does your poop go?" and she would reply "daw-pers" or "poop panties" with a flirtatious little smile.  She knew she was getting to me!  Again - these were ALL at home accidents.  PLEASE, no one tell her that I carry extra clothes with me, I really think she doesn't know.

So now here we are, 6.5 weeks in.  She has not worn a diaper since the morning on March 8, and I'd say she is mostly potty trained.  Now she comes to tell me immediately if she has an accident, "Mama, poop panties, bad."  Again, a big note of difference between my kiddos: Sam got very upset with each accident he had - they were truly accidents.  She doesn't care - I believe hers to be on purpose.  But we are back to those being few and far between, closer to one or two per week now.

Of course that accident count is during awake hours only.  This girl does NOT stay dry overnight.  Again, new territory for us - Sam night trained himself before we potty trained.  I was really hoping that if I left her in a situation where she would feel the wet all night and in the morning, that would motivate her to stay dry.  It has not, so I finally gave in and bought her a box of pull-ups for overnight.  And then she figured out the system and often hangs in her bed, her happy place, and doesn't call me until after she has peed in her pull-up.  Oh that makes me mad!  But all in due time...that's what I keep telling myself.

My girl enjoys picking out her own pair of panties each morning.  She looks through the stack for a particular princess, or sometimes pushes them aside in favor of a pair of hand-me-down Thomas underwear.  That's right, my girl wears boy underwear some days. 

So now the focus my shift to moving her towards independence and ownership of this process.  Yes, she asks to go sometimes, but we remind her a lot.  And she is 95% dependent on an adult to get her on and off the potty.  Its not that she can't do it, but she did fall in once when the seat slipped and she is pretty leery of repeating that experience.  And she is no good at pulling her panties, leggings and pants up.  I'm really really trying to be better about allowing the time for her to do it, but girlfriend is SLOW! 

I do envision myself at least somewhat involved in her potty life for at least the next 6 months, likely 9.  I am ok with that, but it makes me miss the "kids bathroom" in our old house - it's layout was much more conducive to multiple people hanging around the potty!  But I am glad we did, glad we went with it when we saw the signs.  There are so many milestones in parenting that are bittersweet, but saying goodbye to diapers is NOT one of them!

No comments: