Thursday, February 28, 2013

One Year Ago Today & The Great Birthday Debate

The day before Sam's first birthday I wrote a nice little reflective piece about how much my life had changed in a year.  In an instant, really, but in a year.  I could try to write the same post, but the contrasts wouldn't be nearly as dramatic. 

One year ago today, February 28, 2012, was a Tuesday.  Sam was at school.  So there is a big difference: I had a few hours of alone time each week to get stuff done.  BabyBelle is with me all the time, so those days are gone.  But truth be told, I only had that convenience for about 6 months and never really got that used to it anyhow.  And we have lived through the awkward infant sleep stages and are in a nice 2 nap, 11 hour night sleep schedule, and the second nap happens during Sam's, so I do have at least a bit of kid-free time each day.  Stuck at home, of course, but time to re-charge.

One year ago today, I planned my life around Sam.  We are both very fortunate that he is not an only child.  That was a destructive pattern from which we are still recovering.

One year ago today, I did feel organized.  Or at least "on top of things."  Capable of planning ahead.  Ever since Baby Girl was born I can't seem to get ahead.  I am only capable of thinking through the item that happens next, which means things get far less planning than I am accustomed to.  I have felt a bit like I'm in catch up mode for the past year just to stay on top of all that needs to be done.

One year ago today I did go to an OB appointment, just like the day before Sam was born.  My OB must be magic!  Which brings me to an important point:

One year ago today, I was pregnant.

Which, according to my husband, means that we cannot celebrate Annabelle's birthday today.  Despite the fact that she was born in February, and that a March 1 date would be AFTER her birthday, he says it isn't so.  It had not yet been 365 days since her birth.  Whatever, her birth year has 366 days so that logic doesn't add up either.

The Great Birthday Debate.  One year later, it appears we still don't have an answer to the, "When will you celebrate her birthday?" question.  You'd think I'd have one by now since the question comes up A LOT.  Believe me, she and I have our party conversation starter for the rest of our lives.

Since my man and I were not able to reach an agreement, I have decided to celebrate both days this year.  This morning she woke to streamers hanging from her door and she and I hit the Children's Museum.  I plan to give her some cookie for her dinner tonight.  Tomorrow we will do presents and dinner out.  Ok, its really three days, because he party is on Saturday.

And I think that will be my answer.  When there is no ONE day for my child's birthday, my child shall have no ONE birthday.  My child shall have two. 

2 comments:

James said...

Good for you Lindsay, I like the celebrate for 2 days idea. We just went with what worked for us each year, we liked to do something in February when possible as that was the actual month but it didn't always work out that way. One thing I know for sure Paul never felt slighted because we always celebrated, in fact I think he felt special because his birthday was so different than the others. Have fun with it every year!!!!!

Anonymous said...

This article offers cleаr idea for the nеw viѕitοrs оf blοgging, that gеnuіnely how to do running а
blog.

Also visit my page - go