Friday, August 23, 2013

A Girl.

I believe that our household is an excellent case study in the notion that gender-related personality attributes are innate, not taught.  Honestly, there isn't much "girly" to do in our house.  We are super-loaded in gender-neutral baby and toddler toys, and all things boy for the preschool sect.  Accordingly, my daughter loves playing cars and making truck sounds.

But make no mistake, she is a girl.

Exhibit 1: Painted Toes.


She been noticing and pointing and my painted toes for quite some time.  And then one day, as I sat down on the bathroom floor to begin painting my own toenails, she walked over, took a look and sat right down next to me.  She sat very still and watched very intently as I worked.  She even allowed me to touch them up with a Q-Tip.  The next time, as I finished the painting, she reached for the blow dryer.  And she even held her foot out with pride to Gommy to show off her beautiful toes.

Exhibit 2: Shoes.

Again, the obsession started several month ago.  While Sam enjoyed lining them up and moving them around as a toddler, Annabelle's enjoyment of shoes is much more fashion-oriented.  Any shoe that she finds on the floor she will try to put on.  Sometime she is even successful.  Sometimes she can even take a few steps!  She asks for them all the time.  Yes, although she doesn't have many words, "Shoe" is definitely one of them.  You can only imagine her excitement when I pulled out her new sparkly Toms!

Exhibit 3: The Finger

So I guess that I do hold up my finger in a "warning" position when I am telling her no.  So I guess that she has caught on.  So sister-child has started wagging her little index finger at other children when they do something that does no please her.  She wagged that finger at a child who tried to use her toy at swim lessons, and she wagged her finger at a friend who tried to take her turn on the slide.

Exhibit 4: The Cuteness.

Ok, This has nothing to do with personality, but I mean come one.  This is one stinkin cute little girl!


No comments: