Tuesday, October 21, 2014

A Hobby for Mommy

Five and half years ago, when I became a mom, every aspect of how I defined myself changed.  Some ways were for the better, others probably not.  If I'm honest, it has taken me the better part of these five years to figure out who I am as "mom."  How do I parent, how do I relate to other moms, school...how has my relationship with my husband or friend changed...how much free time I get, how important is it, how I use it.  This last one has probably taken the longest to work out.  How do I balance being ME with being MOM, when the two are inseparable, yet I need to be defined by more than just that one word!?

In that last year I have recognized and landed on two hobbies that I have grown attached to and that I find both enjoyable and a great source of stress relief.  One, shockingly enough, is running.  Took me about 6 months to stop hating it, but 15 months in I kinda love it.  About 10 minutes ago I signed-up my family of 4 for the Thanksgiving Day Turkey Dash.  Woot Woot!  The other is baking and making my baked good beautiful.

That one's not a surprise.  I've loved it my whole life.  So much so that my mom never bothered with the Easy Bake Oven, but I regularly found real kitchen supplies - even a small electric one year! - under the Christmas tree.  I pretty much took over the Christmas Cookies (an big thing in our family) in high school and college.  More recently I've come to enjoy the challenge of making shaped, themed birthday cakes for my kiddos. 


Which is why I was SO VERY excited when my bestie, who pays excellent attention even from far distances and on very little sleep (thanks to her newborn), gifted me with a cupcake decorating class for my birthday.  I went this past Saturday and had SO MUCH FUN.  Honestly, in another life I may go work in a bakery.  Or at this shop.  Or just bake a lot and get fat.

My teacher was awesome - she's even been on Food Network's cake decorating competition show, and she did win the $10,000 prize.  I want to go spend a million dollars at this store buying all kinds of new supplies and tools.  And I'm brainstorming what additions might be made to this year's Christmas Cookie Tray as a result of what I've learned.



Obviously it was a Halloween-themed event, and we pumped out all these treats in 3.5 hours.  She had everything baked, but we did all the decorating.  I mentally predicted which treat each family member would pick first when I got home, and I am pleased to announce that I was correct in my predictions!  My kiddos, they eat with their eyes first a foremost!


Now I'm going to go eat the brain.  Good thing my one hobby can undo the affects of the other!

No comments: