Monday, October 20, 2014

NCE

So we, as a family, are new to the elementary school.  I don't like to be "new" to anything.  I like to fit in, feel comfortable and at home.  I like to know what's going on and how "to work" a place.  I like to know who everyone is, and be known.  And it frustrates me that arriving at this place takes time, regardless of what the new place is.  But one thing I have learned along the way: the best way to fell connected and at home is to get involved.  So...

I've over-committed myself.  As per usual.  Grade Level Coordinator (for room moms, although I am sharing this job with a friend), Work Room Volunteer (I did negotiate this down to an every-other week commitment), Friday Readers, and this week I will spend the entire school day there teaching Junior Achievement.  And I encourage those around me to get involved, too.

Enter "Watch D.O.G.S."  That's, "Dad Of Great Students."  Their way of getting the Dads more involved at school was to have them commit to volunteer one full school day out of the year, rather than hodge-podge hours throughout the week, like is more my style.  Chris got his turn earlier this month.  I think that when he signed up he mostly did it because he was "supposed to" and he knew Sam would feel special having him there.  When the day was over, it was clear that he enjoyed himself.  It was such a great opportunity for him to see how the school operates, get a picture of how Sam spends his day, get to know his teacher a bit and see how the kids in his class interact. He met some more people at the school - including the Principal's husband, who was there Watch DOGging with his 5th grade daughter (although because he is also a middle school VP, he actually ended up substitute teaching.  Ha!).  He gained some insights I hadn't yet, and Sam DID feel special having him there. 


And I got everyone we live near and are related to involved in our first elementary school fundraiser.  Thanks again for all of your generous donations!  Sam loved everything about the Boosterthon Fun Run - from the prizes he brought home daily (literally, at least one a day for 9 school days) to the running around and getting water cups for 40 minutes with his buddies.  We made a poster so that he could earn an extra prize (obviously.  And the Boosterthon chair posted it on Facebook - woot woot!).  And although I did go to watch the event, I did not volunteer for it - proud of me?!  I wasn't sure if I'd have Annabelle with me or not, or I would have volunteered.  There's always next year ;-)








So I'm over at the school a little bit more each week, feeling a bit more at home each time.  The good thing is, Sam already feels at home and comfortable there - and I guess that matters more than my feelings, right?

Bonus Picture: I was in the PTA room when they were counting box tops one day.  Have you ever seen such a tiny box top?  I cannot imagine what product this cam off of!


No comments: