Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Spring Break 2015



For most of the school year I’d imagined that we’d go someplace for our first “real” spring break as a family.  I guess that’s because we always did when I was growing up.  But as I looked at our family travel calendar for the next 6 months I came to terms with the fact that adding one more trip – even a small one – just wasn’t a prudent idea.  So we invited Gommy and Papa to join us on our little stay-cation instead!

Sam was looking forward to his break for several weeks and kept telling me that he was going to do nothing but relax.  We didn’t believe that for one second – that kid is no good at sitting still!  But something magical happened this year: we sprang forward (time change) on the first weekend of Spring Break.  And both of my children slept until at least 7:30 every day of break.  The adults were up before them.  One day they were up after 8.  It was glorious.  I pray those things will line up every year.

Our visitors were scheduled to arrive on Tuesday evening, so after a relaxing weekend the kids and I had an opportunity to hit up one of our favorite outings, WonderWild, for a day of play.  Sam is really missing the little family field trips we used to do during his preschool career, and this one is only available for open play during the week.  AND HISD’s spring break was the week after ours, so it was really a perfect fit.

On Tuesday morning while I was trying to fit in my 4 hours of weekly work before company arrived, I got a call from the sitter that Annabelle, who was FINE when I left the house that morning, had thrown up twice.  “No no, you stay.  I’ve got this.  I just wanted you to know.”  Best sitter ever.  And my poor little bug certainly did have a bug.  She would have highs and lows over the next several days, but that girl ended up being mostly sick for the rest of spring break.

Given the morning’s events and the great distance we now live from the airport, I decided it was important to bring a bucket with us in the car.  Thinking even one step further, I brought a plastic pitcher, with a lid.  I’m all about containment.  So I have the jug next to me, asking Annabelle how she’s doing every few minutes.  At one point I turn around and see Sam, who we’d moved to the third row to allow grown-ups easier access to the back seats.  I can read that kid like a book and his face was screaming “I’M CARSICK!”  After I told him he was wrong when he bravely mumbled “I think I can handle it…” I explained to him that we had one chance to get him this bucket.  With his arms wide open and his mind focused, while I was driving in stop and go traffic on the freeway, I tossed that pitcher back to him.  With about 20 seconds to spare.  “Oh I feel so much better!”  Relieved and proud that I was oh-so-prepared (lets ignore the fact that I brought the bucket for the other kid, mmm-k?), I confindently drove on through the thinning traffic.  Next time I looked back they were both asleep and yes, Sam was still holding his pitcher.  And I had the lid.  The more we drove, the more it slipped.  This could not happen.  I could not let a sleep-induced spill trample our pitcher-toss victory.  I would not clean vomit out of my car!  As traffic slowed again I weighed my options.  There are very few circumstances where I feel its acceptable to put your car in park on the freeway, but this was one of them.  I waited, unbuckled, watched the break patterns as far as I could see.  And when traffic stopped I threw the car into park, half-crawled back, grabbed the pitcher, wiggled back into my seat, put it in drive, lidded the pitcher and re-buckled.  And then traffic inched forward.  Because the Lord loves me.

Needless to say, the welcome that Gommy and Papa received that evening was a little less enthusiastic than usual.  But everyone pushed through for a nice dinner out, and then we had a wonderfully lazy morning the next day.  Coffee and breakfast and reading in Sam’s bed and legos, etc.  Too bad that Daddy had to go to work.  We pulled ourselves together for an afternoon outing and headed to the bowling alley, along with the rest of Katy, Tx.  Because, did I mention that it rained for most of our spring break?  A two hour wait for a lane wasn’t in the cards for our crew, so we went around the corner to Chuck-E-Cheese.  That place is, well, special.  But the kids had a great time and Sam even saw one of his classmates there.  





On Thursday we planned our day a little better and made it to the bowling alley before the crowds.  We actually had a really good time!  Bowling alley’s have come a long way in the last 15 years and now have the ability to pop up bumpers for specific players on your line up.  While I won’t deny that Sam did make use of the bumpers, it certainly was not on every throw.  He’s got hope!  Me, not so much.  We have no idea if Annabelle has any skill or not because my girl hit her low point that day and literally fell asleep sitting up on the bench without leaning her back against anything.  Gommy took pitty on her and allowed Sam to bowl the rest of her frames.

Friday we convinced Daddy to take the day off of work and we hit up the Rodeo!  Ok technically it was the Livestock Show and Carnival, but none of us are concert people.  We’ve managed to get my parents there a couple of times now, so maybe we’ll make them Texans yet!  Petting zoo, pony rides, collecting the Ag-Venture cards, a tour through the farming process and then finally the carnival rides.  Sam was able to ride a lot more this year but we still had to hunt pretty hard for Annabelle.  They enjoyed the games, too, and Sam was a surprisingly good sport about not being able to win the stuffed donut.  I was very, very proud of him.  When the tickets were gone we stuffed ourselves with various fried treats, frozen lemonade for the kids, who seemed to think our fried s’mores and Oreos weren’t a good choice – fools.  But really, there’s no better way to follow up the bacon-wrapped sausage on a stick that you had for lunch, right?  But then it was time to head home, because in all honesty it was no warmed than 60 degrees and misting at us for a good bit of our time there.  The Ohioans were not pleased with the weather that we provided for them.











On Saturday the kids were treated to a bike ride to Starbucks and I got to take my mom shopping and to the ballet!  Sunday was church, lunch and then off to the airport again.  Sam chose to stay home with the excuse of carsickness, but he and I both know the truth – goodbyes are very hard for him and he’d rather get it over with quickly.  That boy has some strong emotions running through his vains!
Sprinkled in with our other activities was a lot of quality play.  We all spent hours building legos, the result of which was a lego city that remained constructed in its assigned spots around Sam’s room for several weeks.  Sam and Papa masted the all-sports challenge.  I take that back.  Papa didn’t seem to understand Sam’s house rules and actually did quite poorly in the Sam-led challenge.  Sam was awarded a large number of trophies.  We read a lot and snuggled the sick-o a lot.  And Papa and Daddy paid the price for that a few days later.

While I do wish the weather would have been better, I’m glad that we didn’t end up going anywhere this year.  I enjoyed my time at home with my kiddos and our visitors.  While I know that full time school is what’s right for Sam now, and most of the time our rhythm works really well, we were all glad for a break and glad to just “be” a bit more the way we were last year.  And for that, I am thankful.

No comments: