Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Last Day of Kindergarten

It was sometime in early May when I started to realize who close we actually were to the end of Sam's school year.  At the point it hit me hard - where had the year gone?  Was it seriously almost over?  Had he learned everything he was supposed to?  Had he matured at enough, or at all?

And then I looked at the calendar and had to take a few deep breaths.  May was one crazy month, considering our kids are only 3 and 6 (yes, I know that our schedule doesn't hold a candle to families with teen).  Class parties, field trips, volunteering at school, baseball, swim team, Annabelle finishing school...a trip out of town!...on top of our normal stuff!

And so we slammed into Sam's last week of school.  Fortunately I'd had a few weeks to compose myself and adjust to the idea of summer - I even managed to come up with a strategy to make our summer as great as possible.

But back to Sam.  A week before the last day, all the dutiful Kindergarten Families piled into the cafeteria for the big Kindergarten Celebration.  A few adorable songs, a poem from each teacher and an award for each kid.  Sam was given the "Curious George Award" for always wanting to know more about everything.




On the second to last day of school, Annabelle and I walked up to the school to have lunch with Sam.  Yes, walked.  Our car was in the shop and A/C aint nothin to wait on in Houston in June.  When Mrs. Schindler realized we were car-less she actually offered to lend me hers for the rest of the day!  I guess you can say we bonded?!  I did get to give her a hug and lunch and thank her, and Sam's favorite lunch room/front office employee, for a great year.

And then it came.

And the next time I saw him, he was a First Grader. 

And in true summer spirit (and with a new summer hair cut), his school bag hangs on its hook, completely untouched.  I'm sure we'll unpack it eventually.

No comments: