Thursday, October 8, 2009

Operation Re-Wash

Last weekend I was discussing Sam's continuing skin issues with my mother. "Is it mainly just on his arms?" she asked. "No, its everywhere, his whole body. Well, everywhere except his diaper area," I responded. LIGHT BULB!

Of course I'd realized this before, but for some reason saying it out loud really made it click. The redness and itchiness was worst on his chest, which was always covered by clothing even when in a short sleeve onesie. Obviously, something that was touching his skin was making it worse. Thus began Operation Re-Wash.

I went out a bought some Dreft. I did a load of Sam's laundry and since Sunday he was been wearing clothing exclusively from that one load. I'm happy to report that his skin looks much better. Cured? No. But definitely better. I had been using a hypoallergenic, free and clear detergent, but apparently he wants the good stuff.

So after 4+ days of consistently clearer skin, I am convinced enough to re-wash all of his stuff. I feel like I'm 36 weeks pregnant again, diligently cleaning everything my baby owns. Towels, washcloths, sheets, onesies, clothes, burp clothes, bibs...its all in the process of being washed. I've also switched the detergent I'm using on our adult laundry, and kicked our scented detergent to the curb.

So if anyone's keeping score, we now know two things that make Sam's skin worse:
1. Heat (lovely, since we still have highs in the 90's)
2. Tide Free and Clear Laundry Detergent

1 comment:

Kristen E said...

linds, you're such a great detective!!