Monday, November 9, 2009

Herpangina

I didn't know it existed until this morning, but Sam's got it. You can read all about it here. He wasn't very interested in his solids at breakfast and Dad noticed how hot he was, so we took his temperature. 102.6 seemed very high for a 6-month-old, so we called the doctor, who agreed and wanted to see Sam.

By the time we got to the doctor's office Sam's temperature was 103.8. After a few questions, to which all my answers were "no," Dr. Jung began a physical exam. One look down Sam's throat and we had a clear diagnosis. So my baby has a painful sore throat and high fever that will last for 3-4 days. He's very clingy, very fussy, and very hot. It makes Mommy sad, but Dr. Jung reassured me that it isn't serious and will clear up on its own.

And its highly contagious. So we're home-bound for the rest of the week. And I'm left wondering on this Monday...who else from Sam's class in the church nursery is waking up with Herpangina today?

3 comments:

hunnifordd@gmail.com said...

I wish I was there to help, so sad :(

Unknown said...

Hope he feels better very soon, Maya, Eliza, Zoe and Alice all had strep throat last week, but are all better now.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! We just studied this in class. I'm sorry for little Sam. He'll feel better soon!