Thursday, September 16, 2010

Separation Unanxiety

Remember last winter when I kept talking about how Sam had separation anxiety? He hated to be dropped off, hated babysitters coming over, hated anything that made him think we were leaving? Someone flipped the switch. All of the sudden, its gone.

I think the biggest reason is that we've started prepping him for what's to come. We tell him that we're going to church, he'll play with other kids while mommy and daddy do "boring adult things." We tell him that friends are coming over, but mommy and daddy will stay to. I tell him we're going to the gym, he'll play with some big kids, and I'll be back in a little bit to get him. Honestly, I think he understands.

Also, I think he has finally figured out that these places we take him have REALLY cool toys. Our church moved into its brand new building last week and Sam's nursery room (1 of 10 for children 3 and under) is full of brand new things. On Sunday he hesitated for 30 seconds about going in. Then they pulled out the little buggy car and he never looked back.

And let's talk about the Y...there are always "big kids" to play with. One day they took him OUTSIDE to a preschool-sized playground. Today they took him to the basketball court to run, throw balls, and ride cars. When I picked him up he was in the Cozy Coupe. I approached him, asked if he wanted to come home with me. He slammed the car door shut and shook his head no. I guess we know what's going on his Christmas list!

Some parents would be sad that there children were so indifferent to their leaving. Perhaps if it had always been this way I would be too. But after 8 months of tearful goodbyes and being paged out of church, it makes me smile.

No comments: