Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

**Sorry for the delay in this post - I didn't really have any of the pictures from the trip 't on our camera, so I was waiting until I received them. I've decided to go ahead and post without pictures. I'll add some to the web album later.**

Just before Sam's 7 month birthday he made it to his 4th state (and third timezone) as we traveled to San Diego, California to my sister's house for Thanksgiving. We actually stayed at their home on the Marine Base Camp Pendleton. Our family has come to describe their neighborhood on base as something akin to The Wonder Years or the 1950's, with neighbors stopping by unannounced, impromptu block parties, and the safety and security of knowing all your neighbors. We even used the out-of-town neighbor's oven to cook some of our side dishes for the big meal. Its a very nice place to live.

Sam had a difficult time with the time change, starting with the fact that he only got 6 hours of sleep our first night there due to our travels. We kept him on Central Time, but that meant we woke up at 5am, at lunch at 10am and was down for the night at 6pm. So it was hard for him to keep up with all the activities, but he still managed to entertain the fam.

On Thanksgiving we all got an early start by participating in the Oceanside Turkey Trot - a 5k run/walk. It was cold that morning! And Sam decided he didn't like the view from the jogging stroller my sister had borrowed for us, so Grandma and Mom got to take turns holding him for the last 2.5 miles of the 3.1 mile race. Needless to say, she and I walked it. The race ended along the beach, and gave us a great excuse to eat whatever we wanted for the rest of the day (as if we weren't going to anyways!).

I'm pretty sure Chris's favorite part of the trip was the boys' outing to the gun range. My brother-in-law (Captain George Stegmiller, USMC) took them all to fire a few of his guns. Apparently my husband is a good shot! I think Sam's favorite part was when Grandpa gave him his first french fry. Its a good shape for holding and gnawing on, but I'm pretty sure its not on any list of suggested first baby foods. Oh well.

It was a great trip and wonderful chance to see my whole side of the family. We realized that, due to deployment and shifting holiday schedules, Chris and I hadn't seen George since their wedding over 2 years ago. And Kristen and George hadn't yet met Sam, so this was literally the first time that our whole family was together. Thanks for hosting, Stegmillers!

No comments: