Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Birthday Weekend

We had a very busy weekend of activity to celebrate my Sam's first birthday. The little boy was fortunate to have Grandma and Grandpa Sivard come into town the night before (Thursday), and Uncle Matt joined the fun on Friday evening.

It was important to me that everyone know that it was my son's special day, so I made him a birthday t-shirt to wear on the 30th. The front says "Today I am 1," and the back says "Birtday Boy." That's right, birtday - with no h. We were about 75% through the day before we realized the h was missing. Sigh...

The shirt worked though, because Sam got many birthday wishes when we took him to play at his favorite place - The Children's Museum. He was also treated to french fries (he'd already eaten his "real" dinner) and bird chasing on the patio of his favorite restaurant, Little Bigs, while the rest of us enjoyed our sliders.
After dinner we went home to open presents. The pile of gifts that had arrived even before his party was rediculous. He immediately took to a few favorites, but still doesn't really get the concept of opening. Tissue paper is fun though!

Saturday was the big party. We invited our church Community Group, some neighbors, and some friends and we realized how much our group of friends has changed in the last year. There were over 10 children under the age of 4 there! It was really fun to have such a crowd out in front of our house and to see all the children playing. We ate dinner and cake and just played and chatted. Of course I planned an outdoor birthday party for the weekend that summer arrived in Houston, but I think everyone had a nice time in spite of the heat. Sam did enjoy playing in his cake, but I think he only got as far as the frosting. Too bad for him, because it was goooooood cake.

Sunday we were all exhausted so we took it easy. We went out to brunch after church, where Sam thrilled the other diners with his enthusiasm for black beans, hung out in the yard, and took a walk. We all deserved a rest after the work of Saturday. Yes, I put my house guests to work. Grandpa, Uncle Matt, and Chris did a TON of work out in the yard while Grandma and I decorated and made all the food. We could not have pulled off the lovely party without all of their help!

Grandma and Grandpa stayed until Monday, so they got to attend yet another well-visit with us. I think our pediatrician might soon think I'm incapable of bringing Sam to an appointment by myself. The appointment was fine, we learned that he's still small and that his lack of talking is fine for his age. But then there was the blood draw. Ohhh the horror. First there was the tiny, crowded, hot waiting room. Then there was the prick, and the scream - both of which seemed to last for 5 minutes. When he and I came out the whole waiting room gave us sympathetic looks - oh yeah, they could all hear. I'm not sure I'll be subjecting my son to anymore "routine" blood tests!

So now he's 13 months and you're all caught up from his birthday. Sorry about that. I'll put more pictures from his party into his web album, so click on the link to the left to view them.

No comments: