Thursday, June 10, 2010

Outside

To say that Sam loves to play outside would be an extreme understatement.

I don't bother to put shoes on him when we're staying inside, so he now knows that shoes mean outside. I'll hold them up and ask if he wants to put them on. He walks over to me, turns around, and sticks his little butt out (an indication that he'd like to sit in my lap). I put the shoes on him, prop him back on his feet and the child makes a beeline for the front door. He's there waiting for me, trying to pull it open by sheer force (not by the handle!), until I manage to catch up to him.

Once outside, he heads for the shed where he knows the toys are stored. He climbs up the step often before I even get the door unlocked. He knows exactly where to find his rake and shovel, grabs them, and heads back out. He only looks back at me when he needs help getting down the step.

He goes and goes until his little cheeks are bright red. Of course, that doesn't take long during the summer in Houston, so we bring water out with us. He's as happy as can be...until its time to come inside. And then he cries. Every time.

Yesterday he was definitely not ready to come inside. Once inside, I took his shoes off and gave him more water. A few fussy minutes later he collected his shoes and handed them back to me. "Sorry, buddy, we're done outside for the day." And I put the shoes away. He collected his shoes again and this time went to stand by the front door. I again explained we were done out there. His third try involved bringing me my shoes to put on. Too cute. I was finally able to distract with with a graham cracker.

I wish I could take him outside all day, but alas we would both melt. Water and shade are our friends right now. I'm counting the days until October when this heat goes away!

1 comment:

James said...

That is so cute, I remember when my boys would just love to go outside, they never seemed to notice how hot it can get in Florida. Sam is a very smart little guy. Give him a hug from Aunt Judy.