Monday, January 12, 2015

The Little Christmas Things

The Christmas season is more than just parties and outings, right?  There's lots and lots of special little things that make it a joyful time. 

Ok, so this one isn't so little for me, its actually a lot of work.  But I love it, and it turns out that people have come to expect it out of me.  So each year I create the Christmas Cookie Tray.  One usually varies each year.  This year I threw in regular and peppermint fudge, but I'm not convinced I'll keep it.  I had several places I committed to bring cookies this year, so they had to be done by the first weekend in December.  Thankful, must husband appreciates the my cookies and willingly allowed me the time I needed to complete my project.  No, I'm not willing to let my kids help frost - presentation is too important to me.  But this year I kept a few back and let them frost those later.  Theirs looked disgusting - so much frosting that even Sam couldn't finish a whole cookies in one sitting.  (Let's not talk about the plethora of cookies I dropped on the floor while pulling them out of the freezer.  Chris heard the crash - when he came to see what happened he didn't miss a beat.  "We can save a bunch of them!", as he began quickly scooping them up off the ground before I started to cry.  That's love, friends.)




The train display was back at the preschool this year.  For some reason they were almost never running, but that didn't stop Annabelle from asking to look at them every. single. day.

Christmas Movies.  We take full advantage of the ability to record so many family Christmas movies directly to our DVR each year, and then delete them and forget about them until next year.  The kids particularly enjoyed Frosty this year - it was Annabelle's selection every time.  Chris took great joy in introducing them to Peewee Herman.  "He went to Daddy's High School!"  As if that somehow makes the programming higher quality.  This wasn't just for the kids though - I watched all my favorites again this year.  Its pretty much all the grown ups watched in December.

PJ Days!  Both kids had the opportunity to wear PJs to school this year.  Fortunately, I'd ordered us all matching Christmas Jammies and even had the kids' monogrammed.  So much fun stuff at school this time of year - like Buddy the Elf, who was always causing trouble in Annabelle's Classroom.  Sorry, no picture of Sam.

And in Sam's class, there was Jingle Bells the Gingerbread Man.  He was doing well hanging in their class, until the Watch Dogs accidentally let him out.  Before you know it, friends and family started spotting Jingle Bells all over the country, and all over the world!  They all sent post cards letting us know that he'd been spotted, so the kids got to learn a bit about world geography.  After winter break, Sam got to bring home all of the postcards sent to him - quite the stash.  Something like 8 countries and 4 states.  Thanks friends!  Oh, and Jingle Bells did turn up after the class made him a gingerbread house.  To celebrate, they made individual houses at their class parties (see how that all came full circle!?)  (Oh HEY.  That class picture is on PJ Day!)




My duo was quite pleased to discover that they'd both made Rudolph hats in their classes.





But we aren't likely to wear those hats out of the house, so its important for us ladies to look festive in other ways.  Like with matching Christmas Nail Polish.

And yes, Sam had made gingerbread houses at school already.  But he and have done one together for several years now.  And Annabelle hadn't done one yet.  So I bought them each a kit (soooooo much easier than homemade.  Someday we'll do homemade, but we aren't there yet) and we had a good time.  Sam has really progressed - I helped him with the icing but he placed every piece of candy onto that house himself.  With age comes slightly increased focus.  And creativity - he cut and gingerbread marshmallow in half so he could have a head looking out the window, and put the legs upside down on the other side of the house.  He ate a little bit of candy.  Annabelle had to be strongly convinced that any piece of candy could be spared from her mouth to be put on the house.  I did most of her house.








No comments: