Thursday, February 23, 2012

Ready

Yesterday I proudly announced that I am ready for this child to be born. And I am - physically and emotionally. Here's how I got to this point:

A few days after Christmas, after the dust had settled from the renovations, shopping and wrapping, I became quickly overwhelmed with the fact that we had yet to do anything to actually prepare for the fact that we'd be having another child. In lieu of panic, I opted for a list (this time it was created on my brand new iPad and came with fancy reminders, sub lists, and sorting features!). The list held everything from "build Sam's new bed" to "sterilize bottles."

Here we are 8 weeks later and I can declare we are ready. Aside from the breast pump (which is en route from California as we speak) and planning Sam's third birthday party (trying to get ahead of the game a bit), my list is done. Equipment is down from the attic, cleaned and assembled. Meals are made and awaiting us in the freezer. Bags are packed, needed items purchased, supplies are organized, baby laundry is done (well, at least until we know the gender!). Chris has accomplished several miscellaneous house projects. The car seat base is installed and the gifts that my children will exchange at the hospital have been wrapped.

We have created a little corner in our world for the new baby. Part of the renovations included expanding our master closet into what is now a combo closet/crib room. A feel a little bit badly that the second gets such a small space when Sam got a whole brand new nursery, but I have every intention of telling the kid how much more time, effort and money we spent on the renovations inspired by his/her arrival than we did on Sam's nursery. And when baby is sleeping through the night, they'll be sharing that room anyway.

Sam has done well as we've brought out all of the baby stuff. He wants to know how it all works and I think he does see himself as a helper. A few toys he wants to play with, so we've had a few talks about how some things are his and some are the baby's. The biggest protests have come from the Pack 'n Play (understandable considering he slept in it as recently as the renovations!) and the crib mobile. "Those are MY elephants" he has declared on more than one occasion, even though they've been in the attic for a year.

With my list under control I have been making a concerted effort to live it up with Sam in our last few days alone together. We have hit up 3 different inside parks, the zoo, multiple outside parks, chick-fil-a a couple of times and Sonic for our "special drinks." I am trying to say Yes to playing as much as I can, even when I feel like I should be folding the laundry or cleaning the kitchen.

And so now we wait. Chris returned from a business trip on Friday morning and has promised to not travel any more until his conference in mid-April. I find myself straightening up more with the thought that our world could stop again at any minute. We're ready for you, marshmallow.

1 comment:

hunnifordd@gmail.com said...

In the blog world I think this is the equivalent of the infamous burst of energy! Getting my hair cut and colored tomorrow - will be certain to answer my phone if a TX number shows up - almost didn't the last time!!!